It could have been an omen, that our Maine driver’s licenses arrived this morning.
After taking two days “off” (one to celebrate all the mothers), we popped up to Troy with Annie and Homer and a small list of possible tasks. We’d been feeling a little doldrum-ish, with the indeterminate state of the camper program, the enforced delay in the plumbing work while we decided whether power-washing was a good idea, and in general the inefficiency of commuting 5 hours to work 4 hours, which was beginning to pall.
It was a beautiful day and Marsh continued raking out brush among other things while I first consulted with the plumber and then finished removing ALL the piping in the house. The plumber will start tomorrow roughing in the bathroom appliances.
But when we got back to Buxton things accelerated: I got the email from the water lab with their analysis report, and our well water is safe to drink. It’s only a little high in iron, which (a) is not a health hazard per se, and (b) should diminish over time as I believe some of the reading is due to an overburden of rust in the well casing, which has sat mostly idle for three years.
This news suddenly put a full green light on everything to do with the plumbing, and especially on everything to do with moving up to a camper and living and working on site.
But which camper? That’s when I called the folks we’ve been talking to, the folks who had agreed to loan their 30-footer, the folks who agreed last week that yes, they indeed might feel more comfortable about the whole transfer if they themselves towed the camper to our property.
Turns out she was just about to call me! They were suggesting tomorrow. I said yes immediately. So barring surprises, I’ll meet them in Kennebunk at 7:45 a.m., make some logistical arrangements, and then likely follow them to The Land in Troy, where we will park, level, hook-up, and set up the camper — using the potable water line from the sillcock and the 30-amp camper outlet the electrician put in last week.
If all goes well, I’ll pay them for gas and lunch, they’ll depart, I’ll confer with the plumber on his work hopefully in progress, and assess the camper for our living, canine, and storage arrangements, taking multiple pictures for Marsh’s benefit. Then return to Buxton.
In the 2-3 days that will then remain before the plumber has a commode hooked up and working in the house, we’ll gradually move our junk up there while continuing other tasks such as pouring the concrete piers for the basement support columns, planting a first garden bed, and pressing ahead on the rodent-cleaning and bat-eviction upstairs.
But come Friday, we may be spending our first night on The Land, hearing the frogs as dusk falls, hearing the night noises, seeing the stars, waking with the world…
Emily sent Marsh a Welcome mat for Mother’s Day. It couldn’t have been better timed.