I shared this on facebook, too, but we’re watching this ruffed grouse “nest” to see if more eggs are laid. Trying to keep the dogs away so the mama isn’t spooked. As I fell asleep last night, I was thinking of building a protective scrim…
To get usable soil (which we mix with horse manure) we sift earth from each bed as we go. It is full of stone. The sieve we’ve been using (top) is 1/2″ x 1″ mesh, and lets through quite a lot of these bluish slate shards. It seems okay, but today we found some 1/4″ square mesh on sale, and I made a second sieve. Next chance we’ll run the earth through twice and see how it goes.
One of the beauties of this exercise is we get gravel as a by-product, which we used at first to create a 10-foot path to the camper entrance, to cut down on the pine needles we track in. But now we’re reserving new gravel by-product for eventual use in creating a foundation site for a shed. Very homestead-ish, we are.
Last but not least, I cleaned up the kitchen in preparaton for meeting tomorrow with a kitchen contractor, and marked out the plan we’ve been operating from in easier-to-see black tape. On left, sink, on right, stovetop and in-wall dual ovens.